Tuesday, April 8, 2008

CBEST Workshop @ Cal State LA

Got an email from Confucius College today. They are going to host a free CBEST workshop at Cal State L.A. this Saturday afternoon. (2:30 ~ 5:00 pm).

I am generally not crazy about public school systems either in Taiwan or in California. Even though I went to public schools from preschool all the way to college, I was never in "challenged"classes. On the contrary, I was always placed in the "gifted" classes, which means the teachers and parents have higher expectations for the enrolled students.

Anyways, I'm feeling very much like a loser these days, since I haven't heard back from any of the 3 schools I'd interviewed with in the past 2 months. I might just give CA public school system a try.

4 comments:

TazoChai said...

You shouldn't have any problems with CBEST. Find a Borber's or B&N's and sit down with a CBEST prep-book for one afternoon, you should be fine with the test. For us foreigners, it's not about the concept, it's about testing our English ability.=p

CT in LaLaLand said...

Thanks! I understand what you meant. I went through those CBEST books before (yep, at Border's) and realized what I need to work on is those math terminology.

I haven't decided whether or not to pursue a teaching position at CA public schools yet.

To my understanding, if it will cost me about the same amount of money to finish the one-year CA teaching credential program, I'd rather spend a bit more $$ and half more year (or up to 2 years) to get a master degree in Chinese. In this way, I'll have a broader career path in the future (e.g. to teach at community colleges)

What do yo think?

Anonymous said...

You are not a loser!! I read your blog... and you are a WINNER!

fyi - loser is spelled like looser on your site, which is probably a bad word to mispell. So change it to I feel like a WINNER who is currently undiscovered or under appreciated by the school system.

TazoChai said...

Yeah, I think getting a Master's is not a bad idea. Are there programs that offer crendential classes+ MA? That will be the best option.