Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Teaching Philosophy

I finally met my direct supervisor, the future Chair of Lang. Dept., at school this morning.

During our meeting, my supervisor firstly introduced me her teaching philosophy by drawing a heart. And then she gave me her 5 C's for learning a foreign language (as opposed to the 5-Cs established by the National Standards for Foreign Language Learning):

Cultivate the
Competence of learning a foreign lang., and have the
Confidence to
Communicate
Creatively

Then I suddenly realized that I DO have my own teaching philosophy; I just don't know THAT is a philosophy rather a belief.

Here's the analogy I like to use in learning Chinese language:


If achieving the Chinese fluency is like climbing the Monte Everest...

Here are things you want to equip before you start from the Base Camp:


1.A good tour guide: a.k.a. your Chinese teacher
2.A nice backpack: Textbook & workbook and recommended reading
3.A Map or GPS: Dictionaries
4.Food: Phonics, spelling rules, word formations, grammars…
5.Appropriate clothes: Cultural understanding
6.Good physical conditions: Hang in there, you’ll get to the top someday!!


(I don't know how to copy that great "mountain" graphs from the powerpoint... So, you got the idea)

p.s.:
The“5-Cs” from the National Standards for Foreign language Learning:
Communication
Cultures
Connections
Comparisons
Communities

No comments: