Friday, April 4, 2008

Teaching Styles

Maybe some schools are still in Spring Break, I didn't have much happening in my job searching the past 2 weeks. However, I did find a summer camp opening for Mandarin teacher, I will give it a try anyway.

Sure you always have to fill out the application form before you submit it to the website or to its physical address. And this one is Summer Institute for Gifted Students that request a 11-page application, along with some essay questions. I usually hate answering essay questions. But, it's a good way for the employer to find out the more suitable candidates.

One of the essay questions is to describe my teaching style. Gee... I have never thought about that after teaching for almost 7 years. However I found this website, did the test and found out my teaching style is: Facilitator. Which I think it's pretty close to my own personality and belief.

Facilitator:

  • A student centered approach where the instructor facilitates and focuses on activities.
  • Responsibility is placed on the students to take initiative to achieve results for the various tasks.
  • Students who are independent, active, collaborative learners learners thrive in this environment ( I think it's important for my students to have these qualities to thrive in the global world).
  • Instructors typically design group activities which necessitate active learning, student-to-student collaboration and problem solving.

Check this website at http://www.longleaf.net/teachingstyle.html

or go to http://members.shaw.ca/mdde615/tchstylsquiz7.htm


and find out what your teaching style is.

No comments: