Saturday, May 3, 2008

A Teacher's Biggest Fulfillment

I hardly check my old Taiwanese yahoo e-mail account anymore; but don't know why, I decided to check it today, and surprisingly found out a mail from my former student J among hundreds of junk mails...

I was overjoyed to hear from her again. After all, it was the most wonderful feeling a teacher could have to have a student remembers you and contacts you, even after 6 years apart.

Here's what she said in the mail (in purple text, no editing at all, just delete her full name):

Dear Minnie, (yeah, don't laugh, that was the old English name I used when I was teaching ESL for kids. Why Minnie? Remember who's Micky Mouse's girlfriend? Minnie! Kids dig that!)

I havn't kept in touch with you for a long time. Do you still remember me?

I have been really busy during the past three years in senior high school. Luckily, now I get admitted to the department of foreign languages and literature in National Cheng Kung University, which is located in Tainan and is famous for its outstanding college in science and engineer.

As the matter of fact, I'd like to be an hotelier in the future. However, there isn't any department about hotel management in prestigious universities in Taiwan. As a result, one of the reasons why I want to study foreign languages is that I want to study hotel management abroad in the future and bilingual ability is important to a hotlier.

What do you think about my idea? Is it "correct"? Could you give any advice? I wonder that it is correct for me to major foreign languages just because I want to be an hotelier.

Sincerely Yours
J 5/3/08

Sure I replied her right away with absolute delight and some advice she wants.
Life is all good.

No comments: