Sunday, March 9, 2008

CLTA-SC Workshop (Integrated Chinese, 3rd edition)


Went to Pasadena City College for the CLTA-SC (Chinese Language Teacher Associate-Southern California) workshop yesterday afternoon. The association invited 2 authors of "Integrated Chinese" to present the 3rd edition of IC that is gonna publish this summer. They also invite a "Live ABC" sales representative to demo a set of interactive Chinese learning CD-Rums, which reminded me about ESL learning a lot. But, I'll definitely get them for my students if the budget allows me to do so.

I think the best part of this workshop for me is getting out there to see what kind of people are devoting themselves to this field. Of course most of the attendants are current Chinese teachers in different levels (K-12 @ public/private American schools, Heritage Chinese schools, community colleges, universities). I'll say 95% are native Chinese speakers. I only saw about 3 Caucasian, 2 African American teachers. And among these 95% Chinese speakers, I guess 1/3 of them are from Taiwan, 2/3 are from Mainland (only based on their make-up, outfits, behaviors and some overheard Chinese accents). Interesting enough.

Anyway, after attending this workshop, I finally have more faith in myself. It's overall not that different from ESL teaching. Just different subject, but same teaching theories, teaching philosophy plus tons of patiences+loving care for this job.

No comments: