Thursday, March 6, 2008

Why Chinese?

Read this blog entry from another Chinese teacher's blog
http://blog.huayuworld.org/shirleyc/109/2007/12/19/873, found it's interesting to me.

Maybe I've been tutoring very motivated, adult professionals for the past 5 years; I don't have to worry about this question at all. After all, when my students come to me, basically, they are all eager to learn. All I have to do is to show them the effective ways and tools to acquire Chinese language skills, so they can move on to do it on their own.

But, if I'm gonna teach 5th ~12th graders in private school next school year, I guess I have to come up with some very creative and inspiring ideas for those rich, spoiled kids (to quote the bus driver on Big Blue Bus 14, when he referred to the kids who went to private schools) to study Mandarin Chinese.

So, I personally add 3 more reasons to study Chinese outside the "normal" catagories.
(please read No. 1 to 11 from Teacher Shirley's blog entry)

12. So you can order food or talk to the servers at Chinese restaurants "in Chinese" to impress your friends or family!

13. You can understand a lot of "interesting" Chinese character tattoos on many people's body parts, or on many merchandise sold in stores.

14. You'll never know IF someday you are gonna meet a hot Chinese boy/girl, and make friend with him/her.

Haha. Just for fun. Maybe those kids would buy it!

No comments: