Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Dynamic

August 31,2006 (old blog entry reposted)

Gosh, I really LOVE teaching here.
Dynamic, energetic, creative… etc. These are the most common compliments I received from my fellow teachers, coworkers and supervisors. Along with pretty, beautiful, “subtle” sexy from my students.

One of my students– B, hugged me yesterday and said “I love you, Miss Y” without a reason. She simply just wanted to do that after each class. Another student, I don’t have much interactions with, so I don’t even remember her name (yet), asked me the other day: “Why can’t you teach us in every class?” That surprised me a little, though I know that’s what she(they) really wants. So, I had to comfort her (and other students) that it must be some reason that my supervisor arranged other teachers to teach them instead of me for other classes… blah blah blah… you can learn from different teachers, cause every teacher has different style… you happened to like mine….

And today, R told me that she fought so hard to stay in my class 2 weeks ago (when this new cycle began), even though she didn’t belong to this class at the first place and had to change all her schedule to accoomdate to mine. “Cause I like you a lot since the day you subsituted us once. I want you to be my teacher, and I’m glad that I’m your student.” Aye… almost all my students are mid-aged women from China, but they”re not afraid to show me their affections.

They are sooooo cute, and reminds me my mom a lot. No matter they’re kids, adults or elders, they can always easily find out if you’re paying attentions to them. If you really care about their learnings, so they reward you whatever they have learned from you. You show them your heart, they return bigger hearts to you.That, my friends, it’s the meaning of life. Also the meaning to be a teacher. A great one.

Another GREAT thing teaching here is — free food.

Every Thursday on the staff meeting, of course, there will be homemade chocolate cookies (or other kinds), hot coffee or tea, and biritos (sliced into bite sizes already). And from time to time, there’re some complimentary pastry produced by the students in baking classes around. And, not mention every afternnon around 1:10~1:30 pm, I can always “observe” my students in their cooking class, then I HAVE TO eat/share/taste/give feedback on their works, aka my free lunch. I had my special lunch today– which was roasted beef serlions, seasoned rice, aside with Cesar salads. Taco Salad last Thursday. Fruit Salad a day before, and Potato Beef soup 2 days ahead of that.

Nice, huh?

Can’t wait to have my long Labor Day weekend, though. Teaching 4 classes, 5 hours in a row from 8am to 1pm DAILY is taking out off a lot of my energy.

Filed in ESL Teaching No Comments »

No comments: