Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My Lovely Students

September 15, 2006 (old blog entry)

I have to continue our target lesson for this week: Asking and giving directions. So, I let my students listen to the following conversation on the tape:

  • A woman: Hi, I need some directions. Do you happen to know where the hospital is?
  • A guy on street: You bet! It’s on …..


OK, I let them listen to it a couple of times without any written handout at hand, and had the lights off. In the dark, they can have better sense to “hear” things. Then, we had a great discussion about what they heard.

  • S popped out first: “I sink the man say: ‘You back’, be-causi the woman want to hospital, her back is pain, so, it ‘you back’.”
  • L disagreed: “No, no, I think the guy is not good. He is kinda ‘bu` hao`’ (not good in Chinese), so, it is “You bad”…”
  • X continued: “I think it’s “bed”, she want to go hospital a bed, tired, you know, sleep on bed…”

!@#$%^&*.....


Anyway, I put all the possible answers on the whiteboard, along with the correct “You bet” to help them make a decision. It turned out, everyone thought “You back” make more sense in this dialogue. When I announced the accurate answer and explained this colloquial expression to them, they all said “English is difficult!! Strange!!”.

BTW, B gave me a fresh fig grew in his backyard 2 days ago. A gave me some home-made dim-sum yesterday. J brings me vegetarian food almost every day. Mostly fresh fruit salad. And she’s gonna bring me some vegetarian moon cake tomorrow. Don’t you just love them?

Filed in ESL Teaching Tagged: , No Comments »

No comments: