Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Year of RAT!! 鼠年到

Sure. I'm Chinese. And I know I've mentioned fortune teller too much here. But, I do feel the difference for this new year even though it's just started for 20 days! (Yep! It's only January 20th in Chinese lunar calendar today!)

Last year was a bit disaster-after-another for me (It was my own year-- The Year of Boar-- aka the conflicting year for me, since I was born in The Year of Boar as well). I moved from Nor Cal to So cal, travelled a lot, felt not settling at all, been sick a lot, experienced a lot of dramas (mostly from family and a nasty new neighbor...). Anyway, they were ALL in the past.... With the new year's coming, it does bring some new positive aspects into my life. And I finally feel a bit more like home here in this Lala Land.

I officially quit my "chicken wishbone" job as an over-the-phone interpreter at home. When I said "wishbone" here, it doesn't mean a good or lucky job in Chinese. In Chinese, we say a job that is more a torture than fun -- a "ji(1) le(4)" 鸡肋-- which means, it's tasteless, but kinda a pity to throw it away also... 食之无味,弃之可惜

Anyway, after pondering for a few days, I decided right after my mom's visit that I'm willing to give up those pathetic-yet-bit-help-for-grocery-shopping $500~ 600 monthly income in exchange of more focus on getting a Chinese teaching position I'd prefer in any independent schools in L.A. area.

"Neng(2) she(3) cai(2) neng(2) de(2)" 能捨才能得--No pain, no gain.

I reposted some old blog entries on the same day, so I got a examine myself, and rediscovered my belief and passion in education. When I read the old entry dated March 9th, 2005, I guess that's how I get here today-- tyr to becoming a fantastic Chinese Teacher.

Hence my new blog -- CT in Lala Land.

Lunch time. Chinese hot pot w/Japanese potato noodles again. BTW, those Tokyo green onions from Nijiya supermarket on Sawtell St. was AWESOME this season!!

No comments: